How to become a Childminder in Knowsley

Registered childminders care for children in their home or someone else’s home for payment or reward. It does not count as childminding if it is the home of one of the children being cared for, unless the care is for more than 2 different families at the same time.  Childminders can offer flexibility to accommodate parents working patterns, and some work evenings and weekends.

If you work as a childminder or provide day care for children under 8 years old for more than two hours each day, you must be registered with Ofsted, and must be inspected regularly.

If you are interested in becoming a Childminder please email us at and we will be in touch to advise you when the next Pathways to Registration briefing is taking place.  At the meeting/briefing we will then explain to you in further detail what is involved in becoming a childminder, this includes:

  • Registering with Ofsted
  • Obtaining a copy of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Statutory Framework, which can be downloaded from
  • Completing a pre-registration training course
  • Having sufficient understanding and use of English to ensure that well-being of children in your care and that you can support them to meet their full potential
  • Obtaining a current paediatric first aid certificate, which complies with Ofsted’s requirements as set out in paragraph 3.25 and Annexe A of the EYFS Statutory Framework
  • Obtaining an Enhanced DBS Certificate for yourself and anyone in your household who is over 16 years of age
  • Securing Public Liability Insurance and specific Car Insurance for any vehicle you own that will be used to transport children.

If after attending the Pathways to Registration meeting you think Childminding is for you, we will book you onto our pre-registration training or sign post you to another available courses.  The Pathways to Registration course consists of 7 sessions that take place from 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm, one session per week.  Please email us at for further information.

Additional information / Things to think about

There are a number of costs involved in registering as a childminder before you begin earning any money. This initial outlay includes:

  • Ofsted Registration Fee
  • The cost of a Health Declaration from your GP
  • Fees for training courses – Pathways and Paediatric First Aid.
  • Registration with the Information Commissioner’s Office (see below for more information)
  • Public Liability Insurance
  • The costs of any start-up paperwork (contracts, medical forms, registers etc) that you might need to purchase

Use the list below to help you decide if childminding is the right option for you.

  • Can you offer children a safe and stimulating environment, with sufficient space, toys and equipment to meet their needs?
  • Are you willing to attend on-going training to develop your knowledge and understanding of quality childcare practice and to meet the requirements of registration?
  • Are you able to provide an inclusive environment where children and families are not discriminated against e.g. due to race, background or disability etc?
  • Are you committed to forming professional relationships with parents, sharing relevant information about their children, including any concerns? This might include safeguarding concerns.
  • Are you able to complete the paperwork and documentation needed to meet the requirements of the Early Years Statutory Framework?
  • As there is no guaranteed income, will you be able to cover your costs and income requirements if you do not fill vacancies straight away or if children leave your setting?
  • Is there enough demand for childcare in your area to help sustain your childminding business?  Please visit our Childcare Sufficiency Assessment page
  • Do you have permission from your landlord or mortgage provider, if required, to be able to operate a childminding business from your home?
  • If you intend to work with another childminder or assistant have you spoken to Knowsley Planning Department?
  • As you will be working in your own home what will the impact be on your home and other family members?

Running Your Own Business

As a childminder you will be self-employed and this involves setting up as a small business. You must inform HMRC when you become self employed.

For information on Tax and National Insurance, please visit the HMRC website:

As a registered childminder you will hold some personal details of parents and children and will need to comply with certain regulations. You can find out more about this from the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and the Data Protection Act 2006 using the following link:  Registering as a Data Controller​.  There is an annual fee for registration with this body.

You might decide to employ an assistant. ACAS offers free and confidential advice for employers and employees in regards to legal and human resources related issues:

​If you require information on employment contracts and working hours, visit the Government website at

For information regarding the National Minimum Wage, visit the government website on

Further information and advi​ce for childminders is available from the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) or from

There are some situations when you cannot register with Ofsted or when you do not have to register with them please see the following link for details: