Early Help Assessment Framework
The Early Help Assessment Framework for children and families (EHAF) is a shared, whole family, assessment tool used across Knowsley by agencies providing targeted family support at Levels 2 & 3 on the Knowsley Continuum of Need Framework. It can help professionals develop a shared understanding of the needs of children and their families, so they can be met in a more effective and coordinated fashion. It will avoid children and families having to tell and re-tell their story many times.
The EHAF is an important tool for services delivering early help support in Knowsley and it has been designed, in collaboration with key partners, to help professionals assess family needs at an earlier stage and then work alongside families and other agencies, to meet them.
The underlying principles of EHAF model are:
- Children’s needs and outcomes must come first and their ‘voice’ must be listened to.
- Children’s welfare is everyone's responsibility
- All organisations must work together for the benefit of families so that they can effectively support and nurture their children.
- The parents'/carers' needs and rights must be considered and inform their ‘voice’ should also inform the nature of the support offered.
- The EHAF should be ‘owned’ and driven by the child and their family
What does the EHAF consist of?
- An assessment and planning tool embedded within the Early Help (IT) Module which will be available to partners so they can tackle issues themselves and/or refer to the most appropriate level of support in a safe and consistent manner.
- In promoting a Team Around the Family (TAF) approach, the assessment tool will consider the needs of the whole family. It is solution focused, forward looking and will allow professionals and families to demonstrate improvement and distance travelled over time through regular review and feedback.
- Partners will be able call on the support of the Family First Service to assist and advise upon the use of the tool, the Early Help Module, the Lead Professional role and the Team Around the Family approach.
The Early Help Team can be contacted on: 0151 443 4707
The EHAF model in Knowsley sets out the Early Help Assessment Framework procedures operating in the borough, gives helpful case studies and sets out useful information on the role of the Lead Professional. For more information or support regarding Knowsley’s model, the process, the EHAF document itself or TAF reviews, contact the Early Help Team.