Information on Funding, Travel and Housing

Funding Travel Housing words 

Do you need to find out about possible Funding assistance?

There may be funding available for children, young people and adults with Special Education Needs and Disabilites.  The following inforamation explains what is available and who can apply.

Looking for Travel/Transport Information?

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for SEN Home to School Transport assistance.  Further information can be found in the Knowsley Council's Travel Support policy and to apply for Special Educational Needs Transport Support click here  To apply for Mainstream Home to School Transport Assistance, call into any of the Knowsley One Stop Shops & KMBC Customer Services or call the Contact Centre on 0151 489 6000.  If you need assistance about travel training and you are still in Education, speak to the SENCO and see what is available at your setting, if you need further advice please contact SEN Assessment & Commissioning.

  • Assistance cards - Arriva buses.  These are cards to make travelling around the borough easier.  Arriva Bus Company is one of a number of bus operators who have produced assistance cards, making it easier for people with disabilites, particularly those that are hidden or not easy to recognise, to use bus services.
  • Blue Badge Parking Permit.  The Blue Badge scheme is governed by regulations set out be the Department for Transport and is designed to allow people with severe disabilities to park close to places they visit.
  • Merseytravel's Dial-a-Ride The Merseylink bus service is Merseytravel's dial-a-ride service for people with mobility problems or difficulties, who cannot use ordinary public transport some or all of the time.
  • You may qualify for a Merseyside National Travel Pass if you have certain disabilities which are permanent or are long-lasting (defined by the Department for Transport as having lasted 12 months, or likely to last 12 months, or likely to recur).
  • Transport Accessibility.  Merseytravel and the bus and train operators of Merseyside are committed to making travel around Merseyside accessible to everybody.  On this website there are accessibility information pages on each mode of transport - bus, train and ferry.
  • Transport Statement for Post 16 Learners in Education or Training.  All councils have a duty under Section 509AA(7) of the Education Act 1996 to publish annually a Transprt Statement for students and learners aged 16-18 and 19-25 if they have Learning Difficulties and/or Disabilities.  Knowsley publishes one statement which covers all cohorts to whom the duty applies.
  • Travel Training - Good Practice.  Information on creating and running travel training schemes which are tailored and practical help in travelling by public transport, on foot or by bicycle.

Housing services

Here you will find the local housing associations and other services that can help you to get a property or prevent you becoming homeless.