Help with special educational needs

Some children have needs or disabilities that affect their ability to learn.

This includes:

  • Behaviour and social issues.
  • Problems with reading and writing.
  • Understanding things.
  • Concentrating.
  • Physical needs and impairments.

What are Special Educational Needs ( )?

  • A child or young person has if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

    A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

    • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
    • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

    A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability and will require special educational provision upon entering school.


  • Many children and young people who have may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is:

    “a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

    Children and young people with such conditions do not necessarily have , but a disabled child or young person may be deemed to have if they require special educational provision.

Help and support is available to ensure all children and young people with Special Education Needs ( ) can develop and achieve their full potential.

Most children’s special educational needs can be met through their school. In all schools, teaching will take into consideration your child’s needs, their progress, your views and the view of teachers who are working closely with your child. A variety of teaching and learning approaches will be used, together with effective rewards.

Request an assessment for your child

Contact your child’s school to request an assessment of your child’s needs.  You can get advice and guidance from SEN Assessment & Commissioning by calling 0151 443 5145.

Support for parents

If your child, aged from birth to 19 years, needs extra help to learn, SENDIASS - Provided by Barnardos can help.

This includes information leaflets, telephone support, face-to-face meetings, help to fill out forms and other paperwork such as a statement of special education needs, assessments and visiting schools with you.

   Provided by Barnardos also has links with parents groups and voluntary organisations that can provide further support.

Contact Liverpool & Knowsley on 0333 323 7768

Transport Statement for Post 16 Learners in Education or Training

All councils have a duty under Section 509AA (7) of the Education Act 1996 to publish annually a Transport Statement for students and learners aged 16 -18 and 19 to 25 if they have Learning Difficulties and/or Disabilities. Knowsley publishes one statement which covers all cohorts to whom the duty applies.

The information in this statement covers the transport arrangements for students and learners of sixth form age and those aged 19 to 25 with Learning Difficulties or Disabilities who live in Knowsley and who are studying or training at:

  • Schools 
  • Further education sector institutions 
  • Authority maintained or assisted institutions providing further education
  • Establishments funded directly by the Education Funding Agency or Skills Funding Agency, including independent specialist providers for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities.
  • Learning providers that are funded by the local authority to deliver accredited programmes of learning which lead to a positive outcome (this could include colleges, charities and private learning providers).