SEN Assessment & Commissioning
The main functions of this area are:
- Carrying out the Statutory Duties of the LA in line with the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.
- Arranging for multi-approach to assessment.
- Ensuring that the LA meets its statutory duties in terms of time scales in order to meet Performance Indicators connected with the Statutory Assessment process and the writing of Education Health and Care Plans.
- Preparing for Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunals and representing the LA at Tribunal Hearings.
- Quality Assurance of provision as identified in Education Health and Care Plans.
- Quality Assurance of progress of pupils with Special Educational Needs.
- Attendance at Annual Reviews, particularly targeting reviews held at transitional stages.
- Quality Assurance of LA wide specialist provision in terms of placements and suitability.
- Providing support and guidance to schools relating to the SEN Code of Practice.
- Developing SEN/inclusive provision and practice across schools in the Borough.
- Leading in partnership on the implementation of the SEND Strategy.
- Ensuring a co-ordinated response to meeting the needs of vulnerable groups in schools, in terms of presence, participation and achievement.
- Coordinate the EHC (Education Health and Care) needs assessment process in accordance the Children & Families Act 2014. This means that we carry out EHC needs assessments for children and young people aged 0-25 to determine if children and young people have special educational needs and disabilities that require support or provision which is over and above the support ordinarily available at school.
- Monitor and Review Education Health and Care Plans(EHCP’s) in partnership with the child or young person and their parents and the educational setting.
- Update existing EHCP’s in preparation for a child or young person moving between key phases in education such as moving to secondary school or going to college.
- Coordinate school placements for children and young people who have an EHCP including special school placements.
- Within the Team there is a Lead Education Officer for each area (North, South and Central areas of Knowsley)
Here are some of the forms and documents that are used as part of the EHC Assessment and Review Process. Some are completed by families and young people and some by schools and educational settings to complete.
- All about me
- Appendix 2 Guidance for all about me advice
- EHCP Annual Review Form
- Parental Advice for Assessment for Early Years
- Parental Advice for Assessment for Primary Years
- Parental Advice for Assessment for Secondary Years
- Application for EHC Assessment - 2018
- Response to draft EHC Plan - School preference
Please click on Additional Information below to see more useful documents
0 - 25
Self-referral or through other services
Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm